Wednesday, May 13, 2009
Well, it's such an honor that both Marcus from http://marcusjournal.blogspot.com/ and Carole from http://www.blogger.com/profile/06051368546505731081 consider my blog among their seven most favorite. Marcus is a thoughtful practitioner who works the teachings in his life, and writes honestly about his experience. I also appreciate his humbleness, and willingness to share his struggles with us all. And Carole is a wonderful artist, and pretty fearless zen student who writes witty posts filled with examinations of her life and the world around her.
So, I'm supposed to choose seven more blogs to honor, and then write 10 honest things about myself. Hmm --- and I was also supposed to brag about winning the Honest Scrap award, which I'll do so by saying I also got the Lemonade Award, which "is given to bloggers who show a positive attitude, gratitude, and a willingness to share their ideas, support and online friendship. In other words, people who make lemonade when they get lemons!"
Seven Brilliant blogs
1. http://yogajourneys.blogspot.com/ is a wonderful blog by a yoga student who pays close attention to her life. As I am also a yoga student, I always appreciate seeing what fellow yoginis have to say.
2. http://givingnoticenow.blogspot.com/ is another enjoyable blog. Jennifer writes honestly about her life, has been giving us lots of good Pema Chodron quotes lately, and always leaves interesting comments on my blog page.
3. http://beingjakekujava.blogspot.com/ is the site of my good friend Jake. He's an artist, comic strip writer, into zen, and a general all around good guy. Check out his artwork on the blog.
4. http://paleonym.blogspot.com/ is always interesting. I love that the author covers so many topics, from spiritual practice, to social issues, to literature.
5. http://possibleway.blogspot.com/ has lots of good zen talk and commentary, which shouldn't been surprising given the blog title.
6. http://homelesstom.blogspot.com/ is such an ecclectic experience. This guy writes about so many things, from homelessness in Sacramento to zen, to Christianity, even the Talking Heads.
7. http://thewheelofdharma.blogspot.com/ is another good blog. Lawrence isn't afraid to tackle difficult issues, like anger and sexuality, and often with a sense of humor to boot.
Now, ten honest things about me.
1. I have never had a driver's license.
2. Even though I am often very repelled by anything sappy, I love the movie "It's a Wonderful Life," which definitely has sappy moments.
3. In third grade, I got sent to the principal's office because I was threatening to hit a friend with my cast. I had broken three fingers on my right hand, had it put into a cast, and got upset with a friend at lunch because I thought he was spitting in my food. Not the brightest moment in my life.
4. I have a fondness for squirrels.
5. I really enjoy dharma magazines like Tricycle, Buddhadharma, and Shambala Sun. There is something about a magazine that is fulfilling.
6. I grow my own medicinial herbs and make my own medicine with them.
7. I'm an excellent speller who sometimes still makes mistakes with easy words.
8. I am a co-founder of a non-profit organization that is in it's fifth year as an all volunteer run organization.
9. I'm left handed.
10. I really like eating figs and beets, but not at the same time.
Posted by Nathan at 8:11 PM